Thursday, March 19, 2009

Varun Gandhi says proud to be Hindu,denied speaking against Muslims

New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi on Wednesday denied speaking against Muslims and claimed he was being called communal because he spoke for Hindus. “Statements that have been put in my mouth are not true,” Varun told CNN-IBN in Delhi on Wednesday after announcing at a press conference that he would not apologise for a speech he made in Pilibhit, the constituency in Uttar Pradesh where he is fighting elections. “I never made any communal statements. I went to an area in which I felt Hindus were being targeted, so I spoke in favour of the Hindu community. It is a very sad day in the Indian politics when anyone who speaks for Hindus is branded communal,” Varun told Pallavi Ghosh, CNN-IBN’s Chief Political Correspondent. “All statements that have been put in my mouth are not true. There is no question of me making communal statements and they have been put it into my mouth,” he said. “I stand for India and my legacy has always been to stand for everybody and not to just stand against anybody.” EC orders video tracking of all Varun rallies Varun, who has been booked in a criminal case for his statements, alleged the CD showing him making the speech was doctored. “Where was this CD for 15 days? Who was doctoring it? That is not my voice.” The BJP leader refused to comment whether he suspected a conspiracy but said it was clear “who stands to gain” from the controversy. Varun denied that his speech had embarrassed the BJP. “If I have not said what I have been accused of saying, then obviously I have not embarrassed anybody, including myself.” “The party (BJP) has an ideology of protecting Hindus. I have tried to protect the weaker sections of Hindus, who have been targeted by anti-nationals, by people from across the border because it is a border constituency (Pilibhit).” Asked if the controversy had become intense because of his surname, he said: “Yes, but I would like to say that I stand for the truth but what I have not said I must firmly say that I have not said it.” Midway through the interview, Varun’s aunt Ambika Shukla pulled him away. CNN-IBN has learnt that the BJP had asked Varun not to hold the press conference.

No comments:


Add to Google